Mawson station was founded in 1954 on the shores of Horseshoe Harbour in Mac. Robertson Land, part of Australian Antarctic Territory. The station was named after geologist and explorer Sir Douglas Mawson, who helped establish Australia’s tradition for scientific, geographic and hydrographic research during major Antarctic expeditions between 1911-1914 and 1929-1931.
Compromising original and modern buildings demonstrating the evolution of Australian Antarctic building design, Mawson station is listed on the Register of the National Estate as a place of historic significance. It is symbolic of a large part of Australia’s presence in the highest, driest, coldest and windiest continent in the world.
The coin’s reverse depicts a coloured image of Mawson station and a representation of an Emperor penguin with its chick, which appear as the inscription MAWSON STATION: 1954-2004, it includes the words ‘Australian Antarctic Territory’ and the Mint’s traditional ‘P’ mintmark.
The obverse depicts Ian Rank-Broadley’s effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the monetary denomination.
No more than 7,500 individual coins will be issued by The Perth Mint.
|Silver Content (Troy oz)||1|
|Monetary Denomination (AUD)||1|
|Fineness (% purity)||99.9|
|Minimum Gross Weight (g)||31.135|
|Maximum Diameter (mm)||40.60|
|Maximum Thickness (mm)||4.00|