Highlighted in beautiful full colour against an engraved background!
A day in the life of the Bald Eagle is filled with activity from dusk until dawn and beyond. From the moment it awakens, the eagle is at work – tending to its nest, soaring high, hunting, feeding its young, and taking pause to eat and rest. Here, as it soars high above the Canadian wilderness, let’s take a moment to consider the exceptional sight of a Bald Eagle in flight, wheeling high in the air as it positions itself to dive.
Few images are as graceful as that of a Bald Eagle in flight. The renowned raptor, noted for its distinctive dark body and white head, large golden eyes, bright yellow beak, and massive yellow claws armed with sharp, powerful talons, will dive at speeds in excess of 120 kilometres per hour, snatching its prey from the water or ground with lightning speed.
• The amazing Bald Eagle – Haliaeetus leucocephalus – is Canada’s largest bird of prey and the only eagle exclusive to North America.
• An eagle’s vision is about four times more powerful than that of humans.
• Eagles see in full colour.
• Eagle eyes have two focal centres, allowing the bird to see both in front and behind in a single glance.
• Translucent nictitating membranes allow an eagle to “blink” without disrupting its gaze.
• Females are generally larger than males.
• This long-lived bird can survive nearly 30 years in the wild and even longer in captivity.
• Bald Eagles nest across much of Canada, from Yukon eastward to Newfoundland. They are most common along the Pacific coast, but concentrations also occur in the prairie provinces, northwestern Ontario, parts of Quebec, and on Cape Breton Island.
• Bald Eagles are protected in Canada and the United States.
An apex predator with no natural enemies as an adult, the Bald Eagle has long been a potent symbol of vision, power, and stoicism. The adult boasts a wing span of more than 2 metres, a standing height of about 1 metre, and an average weight of up to 7 kilograms. Nesting in tall trees near large bodies of water and well away from human habitation, Bald Eagles survive on a diet of fish, birds, invertebrates, and small mammals, but are opportunistic feeders who will also steal from other predators and eat carrion.
Previous Bald Eagle series sold out quickly. Don’t miss out, order yours today!
• Your stunning coin struck in 99.99% pure silver celebrates a moment in the life of the iconic Bald Eagle.
• Your proof-quality painted coin is part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s 2014 five-part series of fine silver, gold, and platinum coins featuring four “day in the life” scenes of the iconic Bald Eagle.
• The soaring eagle is highlighted in beautiful full colour, set against a skillfully engraved background.
• Multiple finishes have been used to accent the stunning coastal landscape the Eagle is soaring over.
• Collect the entire series to complete the story of a day in the life of the great Bald Eagle as it rests, soars, hunts, and returns to its perch with the day’s food.
• Celebrate the life and habits of an astonishing Canadian predator.
• Viewed together, the series showcases the variety of finishes – from matte to brilliant mirror – used by Royal Canadian Mint engravers to bring life and energy to every image.
• A low mintage of only 8,500 coins means that this edition is sure to be sought after by collectors.
Designed by Canadian artist Claudio D’Angelo your coin features a unique portrait of a Bald Eagle in flight. As the eagle turns abruptly in mid-air, angling itself to dive, you are presented with a view of the graceful raptor’s underside. Its outstretched wings, dark body, powerful legs, white tail and head, and yellow beak and talons are presented in stunning detail and full colour through selective paint application. In the background, we see the isolated shoreline of the body of water below. A steep pine-covered hill rises to the left, its rocky shore dotted with islands and outcroppings. In the far distance, a similar shoreline rises on the opposite side of the water.
- Model No. 130525
- Mintage 8,500
- Composition fine silver (99.99% pure) with colour
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 20 dollars
- Artist Claudio D’Angelo (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)